What is compounding?
Compounded medicines are prescriptions written by a physician, dentist, veterinarian, or other authorized prescriber and prepared for an individual patient. They are prepared by a pharmacist to meet an individual need as determined by the prescriber.
In every field of medicine there are some patients who don't respond to traditional methods of treatment. Sometimes they need medicine at strengths that are not manufactured by drug companies, or perhaps they simply need a different method of ingesting a medication.
What are some reasons for compounding?
- when a child needs a smaller dose than the manufacturer makes
- when a patient can not tolerate an inactive ingredient in a medication
- when a manufactured medication has been discontinued for various reasons
- when a dosage form of a medication is not commercially available
- when a medication needs to be customized to your individual needs
What are some things we can do?
- change dosages and strengthen
- enhance flavors
- make combination drugs
- make unique dosage forms
- make products not available from manufacturers
- natural hormone replacement therapies
What can we prepare?
- Dental preps
- Discontinued products
- Lip balms
- Veterinary supplies